Tuesday, April 01, 2008

your hands


One of the things I will miss the most about you is your hands. I used to tell you that if elephants had hands, they would have hands like yours. They were so large, warm and capable.
You could deftly mend a net, build a toy of wood, and seemingly move mountains with your strong hands. And then you could cradle a baby so gently, hold me so softly and comfort me so sweetly with those same hands.
I know every callous, every crookedly mended bone, every hang-nail and every hair. I held your hands so long that mine now feel so empty. Whose hands will I hold now? Who will show me reassurance and comfort just with the touch of a hand?
You have my initials tattooed on your ring finger because you couldn't wear your wedding ring while at work. I think I was more touched by the permanence of this than by our own wedding.
I know have your wedding ring on a necklace around my neck. My own wedding ring that I have never removed since you put it on is a size 6 1/2. Your size 15 ring is a comforting weight around my neck.
I miss your hands. I miss you.
Thank you so much for all the words of support and comfort from you all. I do read them and would so love to reply but I just can't right now. You have all touched me so deeply and I can't express how comforting to know that there are people thinking of me and my little family. Thank you.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am listening.

Anonymous said...

That was amazing and touching-
Thinking of you-

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazingly strong person, that was so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Xxx

Anonymous said...

oh Jackie..

Anonymous said...

Came her via Lynanne. I am so sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the depth of your loss. I will say prayers for you and your family. Your words are incredibly beautiful and moving, and I can tell that you are strong.

Anonymous said...

you don't know me, but i've visited your blog many times. i am in shock with the news, as everyone is. what a profound loss. please know you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

jackie - that is beautiful. thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I had tears reading your entry...wish I can give you hug...

The memory will hold you strong in deed..my dear.

Anonymous said...

I am a reader of your blog, but don't know you. My eyes are filled with tears. Please know that I am holding you and your family in my heart and surrounding you in shining light. Peace.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, just popped by from The Road Less Traveled, and I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved husband. So very sorry.

Anonymous said...

oh sweetheart, i just found out through etsy, I am so sorry. stay strong, try not to be scared ok?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, still I can't help but think that you are starting the healing process by being so open about your feelings. My prayers are with you. It takes a strong woman to share something so personal with the whole world, and so I am sure in the end, you will be just fine. Your husband was a lucky man.